Saturday, May 30, 2015

Toshiba Satellite

System:
Toshiba notebook
Satellite C650-005
Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

Hard Drive Disk: 437 GB
System type: 64-bit Operation System




Issues:
The first use of my brand new Toshiba, the battery gave me a lovely red 'X'. I got a 1 year warranty from Toshiba, but it was a hassle just to get them to give me a new battery. I mean, it wasn't even a week old, and already causing problems. In the end they sent out the battery. That battery lasted the rest of my warranty, and then died. It was a slow death, charging and going from 2 hours to 30 minutes in less than a hour. So I got a new battery that was worth two batteries, from Walmart. That one still lives.

I've had hassles with it, but no computer is perfect. I found the left mouse pad odd, but I got use to it. The graphics are crisp, but sound isn't great. I can put it to 100 full blast, and most of my videos sound like whispers. And that's if it doesn't decide to give you no sound at all (restart required).
I've been using my Toshiba Satellite for 2 years now, and it's already dying. Since May 24, 2015 it started shutting down when I played a video (whether it was on YouTube or my windows player). It also shut down almost instantaneously when I tried to play that Touch U Touch Me game. And that is the only game I ever played on it (started playing this year).


It was a $700 computer so it's really disappointing that it can't make it for a couple of years. Even my Macbook Pro lasted 7 long years before going kaput. And even then, all it required was a new hard drive and bam, good as new. Had that baby for over 10 years now (but it has more of those annoying thinking swirls). So it's bothersome that my expensive Toshiba is quitting so soon, and already has wear and tear where the screen folds (it's not a convertible tablet so this is horrible when I try to open/close). That means I must search for a cheap computer, with money I don't have, and pray it doesn't shut off and never turn back on before then.
I don't know tech stuff so I can't give anyone the 411 on all that, only those big hiccups I've had. And yes it is the Toshiba computer, because my cousin has the exact same Toshiba Satellite, and it does all these things to her too (although her battery lasted a full 2 years before it needed replacement, and hers is slower than mine.)


I will say one nice thing about Toshiba, is the company offered a free replacement cord on their website when they realized that their old one got too hot too fast. Though it would've been nice to get a email or pop up from them instead of finding out on a giveaway Facebook page.
I won't be getting another Toshiba laptop in the future after this bumpy, short-lived experience. If I had the money, or didn't want Microsoft word and to play my game, I'd get another (newer) Mac.


Pros:
  • Screen Size
  • Graphics
  • CD/DVD burner
Cons:
  • Battery life
  • Fast wear by screen hinges
  • Doesn't last past 2-3years
  • Audio issues
  • Slow
  • Price

No comments:

Post a Comment