Saturday, May 3, 2014

Bouncy Bouncy

This year I got into the whole Rebounding thing. I thought it sounded great, especially since I seem to be super fragile (no kidding, I always get hurt/sick if I do/try a exercise). This is sort of my last hope for exercise so here's hoping it works. So far YES it does! I have NOT gotten sick, or had any injuries and that is a keeper in my book! It's also fun! Bouncing and bouncing, it's not boring. Ever notice the things we did as kids, seem to be the best things now? (ie Trampolines, and Skipping- yes skipping is also a very very good exercise no matter how silly it may seem).

Ladies - Wear a good sports bra when jumping.

Benefit:

Rebounders are designed to help give you a good workout with the least amount of jarring your joints. When you land, it's soft and off the ground so you won't be causing constant damage as you would if you were on the floor/outside running. You can use it with or without shoes, but if you want to have extra joint protection I suggest you wear good shoes (with any exercise you do, even with a game like Zumba.) 
Jumping on the Rebounder helps get your lymphatic system moving (very important since it needs you to move, before it can move). There are many benefits to using the Rebounder, if you listen to your body and don't over do it. 
I've read others have had someone jump on the trampoline while they've sat on it because of lack of motion/ injury and had good results; doesn't mean it will work for you too if you're seriously injured, just wanted to throw it out there. 
No boredom - You can watch tv or listen to music as you bounce away on your rebounder.

Rebounder:

I have the Urban Rebounder, so far so good. It's cheap(ish) and sturdy, I would recommend it if you're just starting out and have a tight budget. It comes with a stabilizing bar so if you're elderly or afraid/clumsy this is very helpful. It also folds so you can put it away if you don't have much room, but be very careful as it is difficult to fold and unfold, so if possible try to keep it unfolded. It also has extra legs so you can prop it on a angle and use the elevated dvd that comes with it (running off and on it). I got mine from Amazon not the main site. If you do however have a bigger wallet, do some research there are plenty of high praised rebounders out there.

Like every new thing, make sure you can use it (if you have any physical injuries or problems ask your doctor or physiotherapist if this is ok to use.) Do more research on it before you buy it. Once you buy it SLOWLY introduce yourself to it. You don't want to hurt any old injuries if you do too much too soon (and yes that is very easy to do, so start off with just a light bounce for a few minutes, no longer than 5mins for the first few times and slowly work yourself up, but don't try to do 20 minutes everyday that's just asking to hurt something). 
If you have a serious back injury, and your doctor/physiotherapist approved this for you, start off with the "health bounce", where you do not take your feet off the rebounder, you use your knees/heels of feet to push into the netting making yourself bounce (instead of jumping slightly in the air). After doing this for a couple weeks and it doesn't hurt your back, then slowly integrate to normal jumping; if normal jumping still hurts your back either cut back the amount of time your jumping or go back to the health bounce until your back can handle the normal jumping; never force it.

 I read somewhere that someone did rebounding for 20 minutes everyday for 3 weeks and lost their muffin top. I DO NOT recommend this if you are just starting out, and even then I don't think it's very wise as (again) you can overdo it and your body does need a break to recover. It is very important to takes breaks (don't listen to people/programs saying do exercise every single day for so and so minutes; if you do that your body won't be able to recover to get stronger and you will harm yourself).

I wish you luck if you get yourself a rebounder. As I wish myself luck with losing my little pouch of a belly.

My Progress:


I myself know I have to take it easy but I am desperately trying to see if I can lose weight (well inches to be exact). So I'm trying very hard not to go all procrastinate-y (I get lazy when it comes to physical exercise, even if I do love the rebounder.) So I have been doing the shortest video (so about 21minutes) for about 3-4 times a week. 

I will update with my results. So far week 1 has gone by successfully (ie I haven't stopped doing it after a day lol). Going onto week 2. I am using the dvd that came with my urban rebounder (compilation 1) but if you end up getting a different rebounder/not liking the dvd with it then you can always browse youtube. I've seen rebounding videos there. Remember if you see a move you know will hurt any injury of yours, avoid it and do something else (walk on the spot/light bounce) or try to tone it down.

Week 1- Success. 4x 20mins
Week 2- Success 3x 20mins
Week 3- *Took a few days off from exercising; Slept wrong so my neck got kinked and is still too sore to move.*
Week 4- Half success 2 1/2x 20mins (computer glitched half way through my workout so I had to stop) Not doing too well on the consistency thing but atleast you can see how much a lazy procrastinator may lose. I would be losing weight faster if I didn't drink so much pop, but I'm not giving that up. Also if I had normal BM's but I have chronic constipation.

My loss so far:  
Measurements before workout- 32.5inch (at the tip of belly button)  34inch (the gut below)
Measurements at this moment: 29inch (tip of belly b)  31inch (gut)

Week 5- Success 3x 20mins

No comments:

Post a Comment